Runkel an der Lahn – Burg Runkel 01

Runkel an der Lahn - Burg Runkel 01

Runkel is a city on the Lahn River in Limburg-Weilburg district in Hesse, Germany.

The town’s 1st documentary mention came in 1159 in an enfeoffment document in which a nobleman named Siegfried von Runkel had his identify look as a witness. It is believed that this Siegfried was the a person who developed Runkel Castle.

In 1191 Siegfried married a countess of Katzenelnbogen. This substantial noble household pressured Dietrich of Runkel to open up his castles Runkel and Dehrn. No later than 1230, the castle had a chapel, thus supplying Runkel its 1st church creating. In 1288, just after yrs of household disputes, the Lords of Runkel and all those of Westerburg sundered into two traces. In 1440, creating perform began on the Lahn bridge, but owing to the rift concerning the Runkels and the Westerburgs, the perform took right until 1448. In 1447 Rely Philipp of Katzenelnbogen was the liege lord.

In 1543, Rely Johann IV of Wied had Philipp Melanchthon as a visitor at Runkel Castle. In 1568, the Reformation was released. In 1622, there was but one more household rift when Rely Hermann II at Wied drove his young brother Philipp Ludwig out of the leadership and in truth from the castle. In 1634, the city and the castle were being mainly ruined by Rely Johann Ludwig Hektor von Isolani’s troops in the 30 Years’ War. In 1649, the castle’s dwelling properties were being recently developed as a household castle.

In the early 18th century, continued French invasions mixed with a history chilly winter season led several men and women from the Palatinate, together with Runkel an Lahn, to emigrate down the Rhine River, then to England in 1709. There were being so several refugees from the German Palatine area that the English government set up a tent metropolis for the winter season outside the London partitions. In 1710 10 English ships carried approximately 3,000 Germans to the colony of New York. The men and women worked off their passage in camps on the Hudson River. In 1723 and later they were being at last permitted to receive land in New York’s Mohawk Valley, where they proven cities this kind of as German Flatts and Palatine Bridge, New York.

In 1791, Friedrich Ludwig, the final of the Wied-Runkel line, was produced a prince. In 1796, battling in Runkel’s streets broke out as troops of the Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt drove French innovative occupying soldiers out of city.

In 1806, the Runkel holdings on the Lahn’s correct bank, and thus the component of the city of Runkel lying there, handed to the Duchy of Berg. In 1824, the Wied-Runkel line died out with Prince Friedrich Ludwig’s demise, placing the lordly area, alongside with the city of Runkel, in Wied-Neuwied’s arms.

Winegrowing is acknowledged to have been practised in Runkel by 1270. In 1929, nevertheless, it was offered up just after the phylloxera infestation and a chilly winter season. In the conclude, the vinicultural space amounted to 35 hectares.

In 1860, the 1st financial savings and mortgage association (Sparkasse) in Runkel was launched below the identify Vorschuss-Verein (“Credit Club”). Because 1914 there has been a central drinking water source in the city.

In the program of administrative reform in Hesse, the formerly autonomous communities of Steeden, Ennerich and Schadeck merged on 1 December 1970, as did also Arfurt, Eschenau, Hofen and Wirbelau on 31 December 1970, with the city of Runkel. The community of Dehrn was only amalgamated on 1 July 1974 by condition legislation.

The outlying centre with the earliest documentary mention is Ennerich, which can prove its existence in 790.

Posted by Daniel Mennerich on 2014-02-23 23:fifty four:27


Tagged with:

Leave a Reply